Aces and Eights Poker – Rules Strategy & Tips
Video Poker is now available in so many more varieties than it used to be, this article takes you through the rules and strategy for Aces and Eights.
Aces and Eights Rules
There may be many variations of Video Poker, but the basics are pretty much the same in each version including Aces and Eights.
When playing Aces and Eights Video Poker you need to choose your stake – this is normally done by selecting the value of a coin and then how many coins (up to 5) you bet with.
After this, there will be a Deal button which will give you 5 cards from a standard 52 card deck. Some variations give you less to start and some use more than one deck or extra cards, not Aces and Eights though.
There is one standard 52-card deck in play and you receive 5 cards.
You then need to choose how many to discard – this can be 0 if you have a great hand or all 5 if you don’t.
Once the cards you have discarded have been replaced, your hand is paid out according to the pay table.
For Ace and Eights, the minimum need for a payout is a Pair of Jacks or better (it is a very similar game to the Jacks or Better version of Video Poker).
You need to know the basic poker hand ranks before you start – these will be the same for all versions of Video Poker and can be found elsewhere on this site.
The above is an example of a standard online Aces and Eights Video Poker game.
You will see the look and feel is very similar to many other versions.
The main difference, which we go over below, is the increased payouts for 4 of a Kind Aces and 8’s – hence the name – and to a slightly lesser extent, 4 of a Kind 7’s.
Like many versions of Video Poker, there are also enhanced payouts when playing with 5 coins.
We would always recommend playing with 5 coins whenever your budget allows if necessary drop down the value of the coin to compensate.
As an example, if you wish to play €1 a game, you can do so by choosing the coin value as €1.00 and playing one coin. However, a much better option would be to play with the coin value as €0.20 and playing with five coins.
This is the main area where variations of Video Poker can differ, it is important to check this before you choose which version is the one for you.
Paytables can differ from casino to casino as well, even for the same version of Video Poker. For that reason we suggest you shop around just in case the Royal Flush comes in – there is nothing worse than winning it than realizing you could have won 20% more elsewhere. Well, except for not winning it at all that is…
|Winning Hand||1 coin||2 coins||3 coins||4 coins||5 coins|
|4 of a Kind A or 8||80||160||240||320||400|
|4 of a Kind 7||50||100||150||200||250|
|4 of a Kind others||25||50||75||100||125|
|3 of a Kind||3||6||9||12||15|
|Jacks or Better||1||2||3||4||5|
The payouts above are shown in coins, to get the monetary value depending on your stake, simply multiply the number of coins by the value of the coin you are playing with.
You will see that the order of hands in the table above is ranked normally from Royal Flush down to Jacks or Better. This is for ease of use as we are sure most of our readers will be used to viewing it this way.
However, you may also notice that 4 of a Kind 8’s or Aces payout more than a Straight Flush, and that 4 of a Kind 7’s paying out the same as a Straight Flush.
That is the main difference between Aces and Eights Video Poker and Jacks and Better Video Poker.
It does mean that the optimal strategy is slightly different though, so check the table below for details especially if you are used to playing Jacks or Better.
You will also notice the huge jump in winnings for a Royal Flush with 5 coins and one with 4 coins.
As we mentioned above and will continue to mention, this is the reason it is better to play with 5 coins whenever possible.
Aces and Eights Strategy
The aim of any strategy is to decrease the house edge the casino has over the player to give you the best possible chance of walking away from a session ahead.
When you are dealt your cards, take a look at the table below from top to bottom.
When you find the hand that applies to yours, take the action shown.
Remember, the extra payout for 4 of a Kind Aces or 8’s change the strategy significantly, especially when you have a Straight Flush draw but also 2 or more Aces.
|Royal Flush||Hold all|
|Straight Flush||Hold All|
|Full House||Hold All|
|4 cards to a Royal Flush||Discard other 1 card|
|4 of a Kind||Hold All or Discard other 1 card|
|4 cards to a Straight Flush||Discard other 1 card|
|2 Pair||Discard other 1 card|
|4 cards to a Flush||Discard other 1 card|
|4 cards to a Straight with 3 High Cards||Discard other 1 card|
|4 cards to an Open Ended Straight||Discard other 1 card|
|3 of a Kind||Discard other 2 cards|
|3 cards to a Royal Flush||Discard other 2 cards|
|3 cards to a Straight Flush||Discard other 2 cards|
|3 cards to a Straight with 3 high cards||Discard other 2 cards|
|1 Pair||Discard other 3 cards|
|2 cards to a Royal Flush||Discard other 3 cards|
|2 high cards||Discard other 3 cards|
|1 high card||Discard other 4 cards|
|Anything else||Discard all 5 cards|
Aces & Eights Tips
- As with any version of Video Poker, the payout for getting a Royal Flush when playing with 5 coins is significantly higher than when playing with 4 or less. Therefore, ensure you play maximum coins at all times to get the best possible payout for when the Royal Flush hits.
- Decide at the start of a session how much you want to play with and stick to it. Try and even the amount out over at least 40 different bets to give you a good chance of getting a win – remember all little wins will get added to your balance so you can play with those too – but if you lose the balance you were happy to start with, walk away. If you start trying to chase your losses and try to win them back, you could end up gambling with a far larger amount than you are comfortable with and put yourself in financial difficulty.
- Check out your game of choice at 2 or 3 different casinos to ensure you are getting the best payouts possible. There may not be much difference but every little helps and gets you more money to play with – it could be the difference between hitting that Royal Flush or not hitting it!
- Only play at reputable casinos that can be trusted to payout any winnings and not make you jump through hoops when you wish to cash out. We have reviews of a lot of good casinos so be sure to check them out and only play at ones that have been recommended just in case – imagine how you feel if you get a nice win on a Royal Flush only for the casino to refuse to pay!
- Finally, remember to have fun – gambling should be a relaxing hobby as long as you don’t gamble more than you can afford.
The rise of the internet has seen many changes over the years, one of the main ones is the effect it has had on the gambling industry.
There are now literally thousands of places to play casino games – including many variations of Video Poker – all from the comfort of your own home. Or someone else’s home. Or your car, or the beach, or the doctor’s office for that matter.
Wherever you happen to be, if you have a device with an internet connection, you can bet on games such as Aces and Eights Video Poker.
Video Poker Related Articles:
Video Poker Advanced Tutorial
Play Video Poker Free
Deuces Wild Strategy